The trade winds continue to blow through the Ontario Hockey League ahead of the fast-approaching deadline. In one of several moves made today, the Niagara IceDogs dealt Team Canada forward Akil Thomas to the Peterborough Petes.
In return for Thomas, who has a 2000 birth date, Peterborough sent 2002 birth year forward Cameron Butler, two second round picks, a third and a fourth to Niagara. Thomas scored the winning goal for Team Canada in the gold-medal game against Russia at the recent World Junior Hockey Championships.
In other trades completed today:
• North Bay Battalion sent overage winger Brad Chenier to the Sudbury Wolves for overage forward Shane Bulitka and a third-round draft pick.
• Sudbury then obtained 2000 birth-year forward Matej Pekar from the Barrie Colts for two second round picks, a third, a fifth, and a sixth.
• Barrie shipped overage forward Jason Willms to the London Knights for overage forward Josh Nelson, a second round draft pick and a fourth round pick.
• Niagara dealt 2001 birth year forward Phil Tomasino to the Oshawa Generals for nine draft picks, including six second-rounders.
• Oshawa then flipped 2000 birth year forward Serron Noel to the Kitchener Rangers for 2001 birth year winger Ryan Stepien, two second round draft picks and two thirds.