As the Ontario Hockey League trade deadline approaches — Thursday for overage (1999 birth year) players and Friday for all others — the deals are happening in a fast and furious manner.
Over the past day or so, the following transactions have been finalized.
- In a blockbuster deal involving three players who are all former first-round picks, Flint Firebirds obtained 2000 birth year, point-per-game defenseman Tyler Tucker and 2002 birth-year forward Riley Piercey from the Barrie Colts for 2002 birth-year forward Evan Vierling and two future second-round draft picks.
- Barrie then sent third, fourth and fifth round draft picks to the Sarnia Sting for hulking, 2001 birth-year forward Anthony Tabak.
- Sarnia pared down its three-goalie rotation by shipping 2000 birth-year stopper Jordan Kooy to the Oshawa Generals for second round and fifth round draft picks. Kooy had been obtained by the Sting from the London Knights earlier this season.
- After getting Kooy from Sarnia, Oshawa then flipped 2001 birth year goalie Andrew MacLean to the Niagara IceDogs for a fifth-round draft pick.
- London paid a big price to secure overage defenseman Markus Phillips from the Guelph Storm as the Knights sent second, third and fourth round draft picks to the reigning OHL champions.