(EDITOR’S NOTE: Hockey News North has obtained a copy of the decision made by the Sault Major Hockey Association to suspend head coach Jamie Henderson of the Soo Jr. Greyhounds of the Great North Midget Hockey League for five games following an alleged verbal encounter with one of his players.)
This serves as official notice of the disciplinary action taken by the Sault Major Hockey Association board of directors. This was discussed at the SMHA meeting on Monday February 24, 2020.
This outcome is relative to behaviour contrary to the SMHA code of conduct and the Northern Ontario Hockey Association code of conduct. The decision of the board of directors includes the following:
- The head coach, Jamie Henderson, is suspended for five games. During this suspension, he will be allowed at the rink but must not have contact with the players or staff during games or practices.
- Henderson must complete the Respect in Sports –Activity Leader module before returning to the team.
- The coach/coaching staff must reach out to all players currently listed on the roster to discuss their status on the team moving forward.
- The SMHA will monitor the team for the remainder of the season.
- A staff member must be present with the coach for any individual player meetings.
- Henderson must re-apply to coach for the 2020-2021 season. The interview panel will not include any individual that has interviewed Henderson previously.