Several skaters who played minor hockey in Sault Ste. Marie are on rosters of teams in the Ontario Hockey League. And with the OHL now returning from the holiday break we check in on some statistical numbers of the local lads.
• Jack Matier, Ottawa 67’s. The big defender and Team Canada member has developed into a point per game defenseman with the 67’s. Matier, who has a 2003 birth date and who is a National Hockey League draft pick of the Nashville Predators, has eight goals, 18 assists, 26 points in 26 games for the 67’s. The 67’s are in first place overall in the 20 team OHL and are very well coached by former Soo Greyhounds bench boss Dave Cameron. A first round draft choice by Ottawa at the 2019 OHL priority selections draft, Matier went to the 67’s one pick after being bypassed by his hometown Hounds in favour of another defenseman who has since been traded.
• Calem Mangone, Saginaw Spirit. Bypassed at the 2020 OHL priority selections draft but the first pick of the 2021 OHL supplemental draft, the 2004 birth year forward has shown his hockey Spirit in a big way. Now in his second full season in Saginaw, the small size sizzler has nine goals, 19 assists, 28 points in 31 games for the Spirit thus far this 2022-2023 campaign.
• Cooper Foster, Ottawa 67’s. In his first full season with the 67’s after spending most of the 2021-2022 campaign with the Soo Thunderbirds of the Northern Ontario Jr. Hockey League, Foster is on a good path with Ottawa in 2022-2023 with 13 goals, seven assists, 20 points in 31 games. Foster, who has a 2005 birth date, was picked by Ottawa in the second round of the 2021 OHL priority selections draft.
• Tyson Doucette, Sarnia Sting. After parts of two NOJHL seasons with the Soo Thunderbirds, the 2004 birth year forward made the team in Sarnia as a training camp walk-on last fall. And the rookie forward has come through with four goals in 29 games as he continues his development as a fourth line skater with the Sting.
• Connor Toms, Soo Greyhounds. A third round draft pick of the Hounds back in 2020, Toms is pressing for regular duty in his second full OHL season. The 2004 birth year defenseman has one goal, three assists, four points in 29 games thus far this season.
• Lincoln Moore, Saginaw Spirit. Another first round supplemental draft pick by Saginaw, the big 2005 birth year forward has three goals in 20 games for the Spirit in this, his OHL rookie season. Moore hails from Garden River First Nation.
• Devin Mauro, Sudbury Wolves. An undersize forward, Mauro is in his first full season after being Sudbury’s 11th pound pick at the 2020 OHL priority selections draft. Formerly of the NOJHL’s Blind River Beavers, the 2004 birth year skater has two goals, one assist, three points in 20 games of spot duty with the Wolves.
• Mason Chitaroni, Acadie-Bathurst Titan. A fifth round pick of the London Knights in 2020, Chitaroni was not signed by the OHL powerhouse. And following some NOJHL development with both Blind River and the Soo, Chitaroni ventured to the Quebec Major Jr. Hockey League to sign with Acadie-Bathhurst as a free agent prior to the start of this season. The 2004 birth year defenseman has two assists in 20 games for the Titan.